Thursday, March 17, 2011

Daylight savings miracle


My children wake up early.  They wake up with the light to be specific.  So, in the middle of winter, near the solstice, they are sleeping till 7:30 or so which is wonderful.  In the middle of the summer near the summer solstice they are waking around 5am!!  Ava is particularly susceptible to the light and over the last month she moved from 6:30 to 6:15 to 6:00 and then started waking in the 5:00 hour.  It’s driving me crazy.  I need sleep too!!  And she’s waking up cranky because she isn’t really getting enough sleep.  Well, the daylight savings switch was wonderful.  Saturday morning she was up at 5:45 am.  Sunday morning it was 6:45 am.  Just like that.  I’ll take it. 

Now, what can I do to manipulate things so that perhaps I won’t end up right back where I was a month from now?  I have to find a way to keep her room dark.  I tried it when she was little, but then even the slightest change was enough of a cue to get her up.  I couldn’t block enough of the light for it to work.  Maybe now that she's older, blocking most of the light will work?  Also, then I didn’t have a sewing machine to use to make some light blocking tools.

I have a plan.  Light gets into her room from two main sources:  the window and under the door.  I’m going to make one of those door draft stoppers to block the light from getting in under her door.  Then I’m going to put up light blocking curtain liners.  But instead of attaching them to her curtains I’m going to just cover the entire window opening.  Seriously.  If it works it’ll be worth it.  I don’t care if we can’t open the windows any more.  I’m thinking I’ll sew velcro to the light blocking liner and then glue velcro to the wall around the window and just stick it up there attached on all four sides.  Ugly, yes.  But it’ll be hidden by the curtains. 

So that’s the plan.  I’ll let you know if it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Web Analytics