Friday, September 23, 2011

The Weekly Review: Week 28

Blog Post that Gave Me an Idea:

I need to do this project for a meal plan board. Several months ago my husband and I finally felt that our family life was pulling together enough to stop planning meals five minutes before we needed to start cooking (and then often going out to dinner because we didn't have ideas/groceries). It has actually been great. Our food budget was reduced by at least a third and as long as we've actually done the meal plan and made the trip to the grocery store we always know what dinner will be. My current sophisticated method of accomplishing this task looks like this:


The meal plan board would be a beautiful upgrade.

Ava this Week:

Ava started going to school two mornings a week when she was 18 months old. She cried at drop off every time. They always tell you that after a few days, or weeks, or months it will stop. It didn't. I was told that she was fine within five minutes of me dropping her off, and I believe that. That knowledge didn't make leaving my crying child any easier. I learned to just make the transition short and quick. Lingering only prolonged things. It has been this way for over a year.

It started last week, but was perfect this week. (I hope I'm not jinxing things by saying this out loud.) Ava has been perfect at drop off. She's excited to enter her classroom. She immediately goes over to her teacher or joins the other children at their activity. I have to get her attention to give her a kiss and tell her goodbye. It is beautiful every time and I feel relief and gratitude for the change.

I really do think the combination of occupation and speech therapy is beginning to pay off. Ava is more comfortable in her classroom and more confident about her ability to communicate and participate. And that translates into less anxiety about being dropped off. It is wonderful.

The Weekly Michael:

Michael loves company. He likes to communicate and interact with other people most of the time. A few weeks ago he was constantly seeking out my company or his Daddy's company. "Come play with me" was a common refrain. Over the past couple of weeks we have started to see a shift. He's asking Ava to come play with him. When she is in the mood to join him, they disappear for 20 or 30 minutes at a time to their bedrooms or the basement playroom. I love watching their bond as playmates begin to deepen.

On the other hand, Ava is still kind of a Mama girl. Often she doesn't want to leave me. Or she'll play with Michael for a while and then wander away from him to come check in on me. And I'll hear Michael calling after her, "Ava, come play with me!"

Kitten Update:

The kittens are hitting adolescence. They are climbing curtains, tipping over laundry baskets and getting stuck in boxes. They are also still adorable and cuddly with us and each other. Black and white Sophie is amazingly tolerant with the children letting them carry her around and pet her in their rather clumsy way. Grace (all black) comes out in quiet moments and snuggles the adults making sure we get some kitten love too. They are now four and a half months old and have been with us for over half their life. Here's a picture of the two of them in a quiet moment.


Weekly Random Question:

Do you ever find yourself debating what's more important: transferring leftovers into a smaller dish so they'll take up less space in the fridge vs. the fact that doing so will create an extra dirty dish to take up space in the dishwasher?

3 comments:

  1. Good to hear that about Ava and drop-off. Eli is in his 2nd full week of preschool and cries every morning at drop-off. It kills me. He is fine when I pick him up. I agree with what you said. I think he wants to go/knows he has to, but has a lot of anxiety about communication/being around other children. Hopefully he will become more comfortable as your daughter did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful site! Where did you get your articulation charts from? I am writing a book and looking for a simple consonant/articulation chart. How would I obtain permission to use yours titled "Consonant Place and Manner of Articulation Chart". Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please disregard my request above...my needs differ a bit, so I will have to create my own.

    ReplyDelete

Web Analytics